A hand trap is an unofficial term used to describe monster effects that are activated from the hand in response to an opponent's actions. They are not actual Trap Cards in any way, but function similarly as a previously unseen card effect used to surprise or disrupt the opponent. In fact, depending on their effects they can be even more ubiquitous than actual Trap Cards, as cards in the hand tend to be less vulnerable than cards on the field.
One of the first hand traps released was "Kuriboh", which could be discarded to nullify the battle damage from an attack. Hand traps first became popular during the Yu-Gi-Oh! GX era with cards such as "D.D. Crow", "Gorz the Emissary of Darkness", and "Honest", and became ubiquitous in the metagame as further hand traps such as "Effect Veiler" and "Maxx "C"" were released.
There are several categories of hand traps. Some hand traps are used to inhibit or punish an opponent, such as those listed above, while other hand traps can be used to turn the tide of battle or stop a battle altogether such as "Swift Scarecrow" and "Battle Fader". Certain archetypes and series such as ""C"", "Ghostrick","PSY-Frame" and "Nekroz" contain numerous hand traps.
Để phản hồi lại một hành động
- Effect Veiler
- Maxx "C"
- Flying "C"
- Ghost Ogre & Snow Rabbit
- Ghost Reaper & Winter Cherries
- Nekroz of Trishula
- Nekroz of Gungnir
- D.D. Crow
- Droll & Lock Bird
Để phản hồi lại đòn tấn công
- Gorz the Emissary of Darkness
- Battle Fader
- Battlin' Boxer Veil
- Swift Scarecrow
- Swordsman of Revealing Light
- Nekroz of Valkyrus
- Level 1 Ghostrick monsters
Vào lúc chiến đấu
Chống lại hand traps
- "Divine Wrath" can stop any monster effect including those that are activated from the hand.
- "Mind Crush" and "Dragged Down into the Grave" can be used to stop certain hand traps before they can be activated.
- Maxx "C" can backfire if the opponent spams the special summons, causing losing by decking out.
- "Respect Play" can see if your opponent has Hand Traps.
- "Mind Drain", to render all hand trap useless.
- Number 104: Masquerade is useful against hand traps that activate during the battle phase (However, Gorz can activate its second effect each time the opponent takes 800 LPs damage).
- Macro Cosmos neutralizes hand traps that specifically state they need to be sent to the graveyard to activate.
Bài Bẫy được kích hoạt từ Tay
Some Trap cards allow for their activation from the hand when certain conditions are met, making them similarly tricky to deal with as the monster "hand traps". Those cards are Delta Crow - Anti Reverse, Black Sonic, Tachyon Transmigration and Typhoon.